Friday, September 14, 2012

my meh projects

Just to prove that I haven't been doing absolutely nothing in the DIY and food department, I thought I'd share a few projects that I originally did up for the blog. The problem was that once I started going through the pictures and thinking more about how to write them up, I decided to scrap them. They're still in my house and I still love them, I just couldn't come up with enough stuff to say in order to write a whole post on them. And I'm still struggling. Nice.


{spray painted fridge magnets} I've been trying to grow up my style in the house lately so one of my first projects towards that goal was spray painting our alphabet magnets. See, it would be really easy to get rid of them, yes, but I still love them and half of them are Greek letters from a set I found on our first trip to Greece together. So I can't really just toss them aside carelessly, and yet, their rainbow colours were really annoying me. A quick spray with some silver spray paint and now they fit right in with our stainless appliances. That's the whole DIY. If you can't stand the rainbow effect your magnets are giving you, spray paint them. They'll look better, I promise.


{muted artwork} In the process of putting our basement back together (after the flooding), I needed a large piece of art for the wall that's opposite the staircase. I got a large canvas at the thrift store with someone's terrible painting on it (again, should've taken a picture of that), then simply painted right over it with regular wall paint I had sitting around. Do you know how much large canvases are to buy new? It's crazy! But do you know how much a crappy piece of art painted on a large piece of canvas is at the thrift store? Like, $5.99! So if you need some cheap art, get a used canvas, paint it white, then paint it however the heck you like!


{no bake cheesecake} I'm torn on this one cuz if you made it, you'd be like, this isn't cheesecake. Well, you're right there. It isn't proper cheesecake. But if you're trying to cut down on sugar AND have your cake, too, this might be straight up your alley. See, the main problem with this picture is that I didn't like it paired with the crust. The crust absolutely ruined it for me. Normally when I make cheesecake, I make the filling and pour it into individual ramikins and eat it without a crust. Don't get me wrong, I am all about pie crust. Most of the time, I could really care less about the filling (unless it's pumpkin), but for cheesecakes, all I want is the cream cheese. This crusted one made me so angry over the waste of cream cheese. I thought to make it again without a crust for your viewing pleasure, but I just haven't had the desire to make it again and I probably won't until Thanksgiving. And the pictures from this pie were so pretty! See? Torn! I'd also really like to give you the recipe now, but it's been so long since I made this that I can't remember if I used one block of cream cheese or two. I'm officially the world's worst blogger.

I have a few projects on the go now. Let's hope I get them right!

No comments: