Thursday, July 1, 2010

happy canada day!

celebratory red and white bouquet
(ok ok my roses just happened to open enough today so I could cut them -- also I'm uber excited by how large the bush is this year! You should see how many buds are on that thing! I think they're thanking me for removing all the junipers that were suffocating them)

celebratory strawberry jello in fancy cups
(ok ok I made this jello for Idle Husband's sore mouth a couple days ago, and we just happened to eat some today)

So obviously, there's no point beating around the bush. I've done nothing for Canada day. I might have felt like it last year, but this year, I'm very much in a 'meh' kind of mood about it. Don't get me wrong. I love Canada and all, but I'm just not going to have a BBQ for friends and family featuring red and white foods and tiny Canada flags on toothpicks. I didn't even think to make red and white cupcakes for IH's work, but I went all out for St. Patrick's Day, and I even decorated the house with little hearts for Valentine's Day, too. Poor Canada gets a big fat nothing. In fact, it even got a 'oh. It's Canada Day today?' Go figure. I think we might try to get out and watch the fireworks tonight, but that's only if we're able to stay up long enough. (honestly, I would really like to get some firework pictures, but I also have some really good ones from last year that I never used for anything so...yeah...you see where I'm going with this? Seen one firework, you've seen 'em all, am I right?)

In nonCanada Day news:

Our TiVo had a meltdown yesterday and we lost all our shows. Two True Blood episodes. Gone. Lost forever. There's no way to get them back! Oh wait. They'll probably rerun or we could just rent the DVD. Crisis averted.

Instead of taking TiVo up on their generous offer of having us buy another machine for $40 less than store price (golly gee!), we decided to dump them altogether and switch to the Shaw HDPVR. It's actually cheaper than TiVo and it acts the exact same way. Huh. We thought we'd have to keep tabs on shows and set up recordings each week and then we read the instructions and it remembers and records your favourite shows. Just. Like. TiVo.

We're still figuring it out, but Idle Husband is super excited about being able to watch and record shows in HD. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference. Whoa. Wait. There's a huge difference! Now I don't wanna watch things unless they're in HD. Look. Look what Idle Husband has done to me! I was so content with my small tube tv that I got from my grandma (almost) 10 years ago, my VCR recording routine, my old Dell computer with Windows XP (with a pop-up I could never get rid of, so I'd just tuck it in the corner of the screen and carry on), and my only game for the NES: Super Mario 3 (played since 1992). Sigh. Now I'm a technology junky nerd!

(Seriously, though. Once you've experienced a PVR, I'm telling you, you cannot go back to watching tv the old way. It feels like you're a slave. I had to stop everything, cuz my show was on! I had to turn the volume down and patiently endure commercials. Well, no more! When IH introduced TiVo to me, it was like this whole new era of freedom was ushered in. Like my tv shackles had been broken. So I can't go back to watching tv like an animal, I just can't!)

3 comments:

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

That sucks about your Tivo! I always download that stuff. I've already downloaded three episodes of True Blood without any problems from utorrent. Great show!

GALaxy said...

True Blood is a great show, isn't it? I might have to look into this utorrent you mention. I hope it's free!

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

Oh it's totally free! I wouldn't be so hooked on it if it were otherwise.